Giorgos had given me the run down on what to expect on the roads…small villages with a laid back attitude and animals that will come and go…bees, because it is now Spring and therefore I need a helmet with a visor to prevent a bee collision that could end up being not so pretty, rocks on the road and the cold - it had snowed two days before I got here. The locals ride with no helmets and generally no safety wear, so I feel a complete fake getting all kitted out and then stepping onto a 50cc moped. However the visor protects me from my first bee within 5 minutes and even through I look like a giant marshmellow in all the gear, I'm warm (expect for my hands as I only wore the summer gloves)
| Scooter - check Bee protector - check Marshmellow look - check |
The road is brilliant to ride. It twists and turns with blue waters on one side and tall mountains of the other. There is very little traffic, cars are courteous and all drive at a relaxed pace. Perhaps it is different when the summer season kicks in but for now it’s perfect. Hills with old olive trees terraced with sandstone, give way to a forest where needles and cones decorate the side of the road and the smell of pine makes it past the bee protector . When I stop (which is often) to see what delight the next fold of the earth has gifted, I hear only the gentle whistling of the trees and the tinkling of bells on unseen goats - I feel like I’m in Bavaria, not a Greek Island!
| Small bays hidden in rocky Olive tree hills |
| Soaring mountains make their way down to little coastal villages |
| Spot the goats |
| What the bee protector is needed for - colourful beehives on a hill |
A small number of visitors purchase a candle, light it and go into the ceremony. I purchase a candle and not being Catholic…just do what I think needs to be done which is light it and place it in the shrine. I’m immediately engulfed in the delicious scent of burning beeswax and the warmth the other candles produce…so I linger here feeling the heat and taking deep breaths of the scents. The monastery’s set within lime washed walls and secret alcoves and has ancient olive trees growing out of large terracotta pots that are buried in the earth. The new section has slate tilled roofs where the non kamikaze honey bees are basking in the sun between the lichen. The roof and walls twist in curves so voluptuous that the seem a little naughty in this setting. I fill my bottle from a stone tap (yes a real stone that I had to turn) and feel like Moses (???) , hitting the rock wall…let there be water and there is…all over myself as the stone tap does gush!
The Monestary looks out over the sea to another island with a snow capped mountain. This, Giorgos, tells me, is where the male only monastery are and the land is deemed to be a separate country to Greece (something like the Vatican). I wonder if in past years they have sailed between the islands, just to say hello and whether it was awkward. You know, like one of thoes all girls and boys school dances except with nuns and priests nervously looking at each other across the room wondering who is going to ask the other to pray first.
| Doing my best 'Di' impression outside the Monastery |
| Hazy photo of the snow capped mountains on the 'other' island |
| Could give me problems at the pearly gates |
The Island is a dirt bike riders fantasy, with numerous paths leading away from the road. Unfortunately all the paths end up going up…I mean really up and with 50cc of motor and a morbid fear of coming down steep slippery rocky roads…I chicken out and play on the tar. Still I can’t wipe the smile of my face and think that maybe I need to change my plans and just ride around Greece on a moped…something the guys in the bar last night would at least approve of. Whenever I tell people what I am going to do they always let me know their concerns. They ask what I will be riding and when I say an old Honda Dominator..they translate for the other people listening…all I hear is words I can’t understand followed by DOM..IN..ATOR, like Arnold saying TERMINATOR…I wish I had a bike with a better name, but most people seem to know it and don’t laugh too loudly.
After 3 hours I have covered 83kms (what a world record!!) and I stop for lunch in the Island’s capital Limenas. Again the laid back attitude is evident, no-one walks quickly and conversations between older men sitting beside the sea are unhurried. I hunt out the restaurant suggested by Nick and order fresh calamari with a walnut and olive salad. This is my second real meal on the island and again, my legs (which must only be attractive to animals) are rubbed by numerous cats who plead with me to share some of my food.
| Fast pace of life in the capital |
| Food, Map, cat free legs - good to go |
| Spring has sprung |
| Entrance to the church |
| I love getting lost in some of the pathways around the villages |
| The sheep are freed |
| You want to buy a sheep? |
| Mountain goats drinking from a spring |
Kilometres travelled on some form of bike (finally): 127
Bee collisions - 6 (Visor: 6 Bees:0)
Times I placed toilet paper in toilet when I shouldn’t: 3
Animals who have humped my legs while on the island: 4
Reneging on sheep sale: 1
Laughing at myself for bring swimmers to a northern Greek island in April expecting to use them: 10
No comments:
Post a Comment