Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pirate Ships and Blisters

 
The pirate ship turned to face its prey…the other boat that had taken its gold…the perfect swimming spot. I wonder how it will retaliate, I mean, pirate ships have been plying these waters for centuries…surely there will be some sort of show down. I wasn’t disappointed. The ship positioned itself perfectly then blasted its prey steadily with a thumping techno beat. It seems that these days pirate ships try to out rave each other in getting the perfect swimming spot for their inhabitants…drunk, sunburnt teens all Euro cashed up….piracy looks different in 2011. I’m in Alanya - the Turkish Riviera, where sun beds and pirate ships rule the beaches.



The ride there was spent dodging trucks, busses and the red glare from white sunburnt bodies as they tried to cross the dual highway back to their resort - the whole coast was lined with them. At one point I thought there may have been an accident as I spied a red substance on the road, but when I got closer I realised that it was advertising for a watermelon stand. What better way to let people know you are selling something than smashing a couple of the big juicy ones on the road - great for cars, not so great for motorbikes as I ducked and weaved through the shattered remains.


A family enjoying a Sunday afternoon
together with watermelon

I’d made good progress arriving just at lunchtime. The road had been straightforward with the usual rain halfway through the ride, just to make sure everything got wet. It cleared up as I was heading into town. This was the first relatively big city I had to try to find a place to stay in. I don’t pre-book anything as I don’t know exactly where I will be each night. I mean I have a good idea but you just never know. So, I arrive in a town and start looking. I try to do some research with the Lonely planet on the general direction of the cheaper hotels then attempt to commit this to memory as I don’t have a GPS. I parked the bike next to a string of hotels and immediately I’m approached by two shop owners, I think they are going to ask me to move on, but they chat about the bike and point me in the direction of a cheap hotel just around the corner that is just perfect. The owners feed me home grown mulberries that stain my hands purple as I unload my bike gear.

With so much daylight left, I head to the beach and sip cold drinks while I watch duelling pirate ships and Turkish families out with the children (it’s a Sunday) and try not to be embarrassed by the topless tourists who look so out of place in this country. The streets are packed with restaurants that broadcast English or European sports - trying to outdo their neighbours in an effort to attract more clients. There’s a castle perched on the top of the hill….. Hmmm, I think I should walk up there. I ask the hotel staff about it…you should really take a bus, it’s a 4 km walk to the top. Maybe the sun had got to me, maybe I had one to many drinks, maybe I forgot that four kilometres is a relatively long way on foot, especially when the path is steep… either way, I set off. I kept seeing what I thought was the top through the twists and turns but when I finally get there I realise I’m only halfway up and my shoes are starting to rub as I’m not wearing socks (being the first day of my travels that has been warm enough to actually wear shorts!!!!).


View from my Castle perch

Summer gear - finally - yippee!



Finally after what seemed to be light years and a couple of litres of water loss, I make it. The view is worth it and I spend a while just sitting in the relative quite of the castle grounds perched on a wall that plunges down to the sea below. The place feels so solid, that is has been here forever and will be forever more. A rainbow adds to the scene by breaking just over the top of a Mosque. Happy, I limp back down the hill my shoes really rubbing. I try not to be tempted by the colourful fabric and goods lining the streets or hit by the cars that scream past with Turkish flags draped over their backs. From what I have seen so far this country is so proud of who they are, yet also so welcoming to others.


Spot the rainbow

I will not buy...I will not buy

Love this orange juice advertising

Flag wearing teens out cruising
I walk the sand beach watching the sun go down and a crazy Nimbin escapee doing an interpretive sun salute dance half in the water much to the confusion of the locals. I feel completely relaxed ready for my ride tomorrow…it will be a big one turning off the main coastal road and heading into the hills again.
 


Total kilometres travelled: 1941
Blisters: 3
Watermelon stands dodged: 3
Walking on a sandy beach: 1 - bliss!
Turkish flag wearing cars seen: 12 (some of them could have been the same car)
Ahhh moments as I watch young loves walking the beach at sunset: 6

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing experience Helen. I'm really enjoying reading about your adventures. I've set up our blog ready for our ride so will post the link for you. It's almost done! Thanks for the tip. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so happy and gorgeous, all travel-bugged up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the link Helen: http://tandemcyclingfrance.blogspot.com/
    Sue

    ReplyDelete